OPEN DAY - BE THERE!
There will be an open day at Quartz Hill for supporters, all radio amateurs, SWLs, their families and friends, on Sunday 15 January 2006 - from 11:00 am onwards. You will be able to view the Quartz Hill facilities. This is your chance to see what we have been raving about ... and maybe you will get hooked as well!
The gate on the access road will be open for entry between 11:00 am and noon. Please make sure that you arrive during this period - otherwise you may be shut out. We recommend that you allow at least 30 minutes to drive from Wellington city to the gate.
This is how you get to the site from the Karori Park bus terminus: Turn right into and follow Makara Rd until you reach the Opau Rd turn-off on the left (just past intersection with Takarau Gorge Rd); drive up Opau Rd; turn left at the top of the road into the village; then drive straight through the village until you reach the gate just past the village. Someone will be at the gate to meet you. After the gate there is 2-3 km drive to the end of the road and the Quartz Hill Receiving Station building. You will pass through several gates; please leave them exactly as you find them.
* Belmont 710 will be monitored in case you get lost or have any queries.
* Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available in the building at all times.
* Bring your own food and eating utensils - a barbecue will be in operation.
* Be prepared for weather changes, with a warm change of clothing and sun protection.
Members of the Quartz Hill committee will be on hand to show you around the building and take you on a tour of the antenna farm. We will have HF equipment set up for visitors to experience operating on the large antennas. You may even like to bring your own equipment or anything special that you would like to demonstrate.
Finally here are some rules for your own safety and to ensure that we keep on good terms with the farmer. PLEASE -
* Keep to the paddocks that have antenna poles in them - all other paddocks are out of bounds
* Do not climb or tamper with any of the antenna structures or poles – some of these are still unsafe
* Do not climb over the fences - use the gates and stiles at all times
* Remember to close the gates behind you
* Do not disturb any stock
* No dogs or firearms
* No smoking anywhere on site
If you would like assistance with transport, then please contact Bob Stewart ZL2AMI, 0-4-475-8448